Friday, October 9, 2015

Brother Gun

Out of a family where as kids we were not allowed to even have a BB gun or a pen knife, my brother became the hunter. No problem there, I don't have a gun but I understand the need for hunters in the maintenance of our forests, and for many people a supplement of great protein.

My only experience with hunting was with my brother in law, and his friends in Nicaragua, when we went out to hunt birds for the nights dinner. They were small birds and did not provide a great feast.
Tasty though.

My brother loves his guns and tries to convert me to his mind set. Recently he must have subscribed to a NRA house organ for me. I actually read the fear filled articles, with there defense of the gun as a necessity of life.  It is amazing that they call gun ownership "the first right". I do not know what happened to " Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

In the Liberty magazine that my brother is sending to me I read the following.
"All of the mass shootings in America except one have been done in gun free zones."
True nonsense. They obviously forget all the in home shootings where a husband wife or other concerned citizen wipes out his whole family and then kills himself while trying to kill the police on the site.

They  also forget that all the mass shootings in the United States have been done with a gun or a number of guns sometimes including automatic weapons that have no use except to kill people in great numbers as quickly as possible. They are not legal for hunting in any state that I am aware of. If I am wrong on this point I am sure my brother will offer a correction. It seems crazy to have to say "all mass shootings have been done with a gun." This is so obvious and horrible that the NRA refuses to see the truth.

I am amazed that our citizens cannot look at the statistics around the world in developed countries and say to  themselves that something is seriously wrong at home. Perhaps we ought to stop killing our citizens in numbers greater than we did in the second world war.

No comments:

Post a Comment